Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year Focus


(picture from Power Point clip art)
You may make New Year's resolutions every year.  That's great.  I'm not good at it.  I guess I don't like the pressure that comes with making a list of goals.  I don't think it's wrong, it's just not me.  Don't misunderstand me.  I have plenty of areas in my life that I would like to be different.  I would love to always have a clean, organized, decorated house; new, delicious recipes every night; spend two hours a day at the gym to reshape (or kill) my body; write a blog every day; put in a garden.  Ok.  I've gone a little too far.  This list actually stresses me out.  Maybe that's another reason I don't have a list.  I also don't want to fall into the trap.  You know:  the list, the failure, the quitting, the not starting again until the next year. 

So I'm trying something new.  I'm changing the word "resolution", hoping to change my focus.  I'm changing the word "resolution" to "relyution".  Yes, I made the word up.  When I think of resolution, I think of what I can do in my strength to make me happy.  I'm using the term"relyution" to mean "relying on Jesus to use His strength to please Him."     

World vs. the Word

This idea of relyution goes against everything you hear from this world.  You hear, "Rely on yourself.   You can do anything you put your mind to do.  If you work hard enough, you will succeed."
 
However, the Word (Bible) says in Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight."

Long term vs. Short Term

With resolutions, you make long term goals.  You may decide to do this.  That's great.

But relyutions are daily goals.  Actually, moment by moment goals. 

Relyution Daily Plan

A-  Ask God what He would have you do today.
B-  Be flexible.  God may change your plans mid-stream.  Always listen.
C-  Call on him for help.  Rely on His strength, not yours. (Isaiah 41:10)
D- Don't get distracted by sin, self, or stuff.  (probably another blog post)
E-  Examine your motives.  Why?  For whom?
F- Fight against comparison.  God has made you unique and for His purpose.
G- Guard your Mind.  Be alert.  Ready to fight against the evil one. (I Peter 5:8) (another post)
H-  HOPE.  Help Others Prepare for Eternity (the whole reason for this blog).  This may be a word of encouragement to another believer, or words of truth to the non-believer.  Look for opportunities to share hope.

As you live out Proverbs 3:5-6 and practice the A,B, C's of Relyution daily, you will please God.

Do you make New Year's resolutions? Why, or why not?

If you like this post and want to receive it in your e-mail, it's easy to sign up.  In the right hand column, enter your e-mail address in "Follow by Email".  Or, "Join this Site", if you are a blogger.  Thank You.

Happy New Year!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments.