Sunday, January 6, 2013

My First and Last "How to Cook" Video

As I stumbled through Pinterest tonight looking for a new recipe, I had a major flashback. I ran across a "how to" video for grilled cheese sandwiches.  My memory:  as a second grader, my parents got and a new video camera for Christmas (Beta, I believe.  Yes, I'm dating myself.)  We had another family over to visit.  With video camera rolling, all of my siblings (older brother and two younger sisters) had "camera time" sharing what we got for Christmas.  When we ran out of gifts to display, the question was asked, "Can you cook anything?"  As I proudly began to share how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, I quickly realized my wrong word choice.  Instead of using "sliced the cheese" (may have been before sliced cheese, or my family wouldn't pay for the presliced), I used "cut the cheese".  I had no intention of talking about bodily functions.  Immediately, the room erupted into a roar of laughter.  I tried to change my words, with no hope.  No one could hear me.  I remember laughing so hard I could barely breathe and my side hurt.  

What I realized:
1)  I will never make a "how to cook" video.  Been there, done that.  I only made people laugh. 
2)  I don't need to make a "how to cook" video.  God has gifted me in other areas.
3)  I'd rather write, than cook. Too bad my family doesn't get fed with my writing.
4)  I still laugh about "cut the cheese".  I may never grow up. 
5)  I sometimes say words I wish I could take back.

  Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments.