Friday, December 28, 2012

Pride or Forgiveness

Have you ever dug your heels in about a decision only to realize you were wrong?  It happened to me yesterday (again).  When I'm in the middle of the battle, (even if  I realize I might have reacted wrongly I AM WRONG, I have a hard time admitting it).
I'm very good at rationalizing my decision.  Making excuses.  Sticking to it, no matter the results.

Why?  Pride.
Pride always hurts others.  I treat the other person as less important than myself. 
Pride always hurts my relationship with God.  I'm telling God I don't need Him.  I don't need Him to point out my sin.  I want to choose my way, not His. 

The consequences....Hurt.  Distance. Sleeplessness.
 
Now what?  Choices.

Ignore it, or honor it.

Continue to rationalize, or humbly ask for forgiveness.

Wait a little longer, or hurry before the hurt grows.

Jesus taught His followers about forgivenss in His famous,"Sermon on the Mount." He said, in Matthew 5:21-24,

"You have heard that the ancients were told, ‘You shall not commit murder’ and ‘Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell. 23 Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your]offering."

Do you need to ask someone for forgiveness?  Don't delay.  Your relationships are at stake.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments.