Saturday, October 6, 2012

Spent it All


The school "Book Fair" came and went at our elementary school this week.  I never signed up to help.  And surprisingly, no one called begging me to work as cashier again.

Last year, I misunderstood the "check" policy.  The policy says, the book fair will not accept a check written for more than $1 over the amount due.  That way they don't give a wad of cash to an elementary schooler.

(However, they could accept a sighned, totally blank check and let us write in the amount and to whom.  Scary!)

I have no problem with the check policy.  My only mistake, I applied the check policy to cash.
Most children didnt' have a problem with my made up policy.  In fact, the majority of children had a "no change" policy.  They wanted as much merchandise they could get for the money they brought  (even if that meant they bought 3 or 4 cheap erasers).  

After I finished my shift, I realized the absurdity of my policy. My policy sounded unreasonable when a girl brought $20 and only wanted a $5 book.

I called the library to explain my concern.  They said not to worry, they would make everyone happy if anyone complained.

I'm not sure how many children made it home with bookmarks and pencils to keep my policy. (I'm sure we had record sales).  None of them returned with change.

So how does this relate to the Bible?

I imagine (not in the Bible) that when Jesus returned to the Father after He died and rose again, His Father asked for "change."  Jesus didn't have anything to give Him. 

Going to earth, living a perfect life, and lying His life down on the cross cost Jesus EVERYTHING. His life, well spent.

But Jesus had the most amazing receipt.  "Sinful people from all tribes and all nations".

And the Father smiled. 

Matthew 22:37 And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'

God asks us for EVERYTHING.
ALL of Our hearts.  ALL of Our minds.
Our plans.  Our dreams.
Our resources.  Our talents.

For who knows better how to "spend" our lives than our owner/creator?

 My prayer:
God, You know how to spend my life for You and Your kingdom.  I give you my everything.  I trust You to spend well. 

What are you holding back from God?







Linked to:  cornerstoneconfessions
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments.