Friday, June 28, 2013

Another Milestone

 
FAITH MOMENTS
 

Yesterday our family reached another milestone.  I guess I should speak only for myself.  It didn't mean much to my husband or my twelve-year-old daughter that she went to White Water Bay (our local water park) with a friend and WITHOUT ME.  I'm sure she was tired of my reminders (reapply sunscreen hourly, drink lots of water, don't talk to strangers especially boys, don't give anyone your phone number, stay with your friend, call me if you need me).  After her eye rolling, I would remind her I love her and tell her "Have fun!"

You may be facing some milestones of your own.  Your baby crawling for the first time and you realize your life has totally changed.  No more walking to the other room knowing she will be in the same spot when you return.  With my first daughter, I couldn't wait for her to crawl, walk, and run.  By the third daughter, I was asking her to slow down.

Other major milestones...

--First day of Kindergarten (had to get permission from A, my oldest daughter, to walk her to class)
--Last year of Elementary School (my middle daughter J is here)
--First day of Middle School (survived that last year)
--First day of High School (glad we aren't here yet)

Some of you are ahead of me.  I will stop at High School.
 
Many milestones are celebratory and mixed with emotions.

Other milestones I've watched close family and friends experience recently (you know who you are) that "don't make the hip parade," as my Father-in-Law would say.

--First day in PICU
--First day living with known cancer
--First wedding anniversary that your spouse forgets because of dementia.
--First day living without a loved one

When I started this post, I didn't intend for it to be so sad or discouraging.   But that is how life is sometimes.  You hit milestones that bring a smile.  And the very next day can bring tears.  Some days even teeter between the extremes.  

But there is HOPE!  God is still here.  He is in control.  He is mighty to save.  His grace is sufficient.  His mercies are new every morning. 

As I let my daughter go to the water park, I realized she is growing up.  And I'm reminded that Jesus wants us to grow up in faith.  We don't get to choose the means for growth (None of us would choose the last list of milestones).

James 1: 2-4  (New Living Translation) 
2 Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. 3 For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything.

2 comments:

  1. Ya...so with you Stacy. Milestones for me in the next year will include - one more starting middle school, oldest being a senior, oldest turning 18, another new driver, last child's last year of elementary school(after 13 years), high school graduation....someone hold me please!! :) love your heart friend - planning to spend a little extra time on my knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You have so many milestones coming up. Yes, many prayers to pray.

      Delete

I would love to hear your comments.